My name is Victoria and I am hosting a scavenger hunt in South Boston on September 1, 2012!
Purpose: to have fun outside in South Boston
The purpose of Scavenger in Southie is to connect South Boston families and residents to their community while having fun outside and raising funds for a cause. South Boston is unique place – the streets are filled with families, young professionals, and timeless residents that all have their story of how they got here and what they love about Southie. In addition, historic landmarks, unique local businesses, and strong community organizations have really made this my favorite place I’ve ever lived.
I’m impressed by all of the patriotic flags hanging on every stoop, the beautiful war memorials, and the squares named after residents. I wanted to learn more about this great neighborhood I live in, and what better way than adding in a little competition with an outdoor scavenger hunt?
Who will have fun at Scavenger in Southie?
- All Boston-area residents – families, teens, young adults, adventure lovers
- South Boston businesses and community organizations
- South Boston military veterans, their families, and those who support them
- Boston-area military history aficionados
My personal goals for Scavenger in Southie
My goals for Scavenger in Southie:
- 150 people participate in Scavenger in Southie and have a blast on Labor Day weekend!
- The event will be entirely sponsored by South Boston businesses and residents
- 100 t-shirts or other memorabilia of the event are sold
- South Boston and our sponsors help raise $50,000 for the Andrew Square VFW Post 6536!
How to play:
- Find a friend and sign up!
- Create a fun team name.
- Show up at the VFW on September 1st, make a donation, and take our list of clues
- Gather as many points as possible while having fun outdoors
- Come back to the VFW when time’s up
- Relax & tell stories with new friends while we tally up the points
- Win prizes!
- Prize categories include: Best Team Name, Most Points Awarded, Best Costume. Categories available for Children & Adult Teams
Suggestions for interested players:
- Families with young children play together. There may be a waiver for you to sign on Hunt Day.
- Teams be no more than 4 or 5 people. Teams can be made up of businesses, church youth groups, friends, or families – whoever you want to explore South Boston with!
- This event is FREE, but any and all proceeds will be benefiting veterans in South Boston. Bring a donation to play – the suggested donation is $5 per person.